Saturday, March 26, 2016

Where the trail ends


Where the trail ends, the sky takes over
Where the land drops from under my feet
I have a renewed faith in flying.
I stretch my arms as far as I can
Then I turn slowly, around and around
Deep canyons, round hills, rivers with dry beds
All move with me, faster and faster
Until they blend into one blurry swirl of colors

At the end of the trail my hidden place
No signs to lead the way there
Only the desert wind that softly moans
Repeating ancient stories of glory and gore
Were t desert nomads on their lonely way
Fugitives from battles doomed before they launched
Marching armies that filled the air with the clatter of arms
Shiny swords, sparkling amour, flags and clouds of dust

Hermits looking for salvation, hunkering in remote caves
Writers who left scrolls, that lost their lines in the sand
In the blurry swirl of colors I see their quivering images
In the echoes that roll down the sheer rock walls
I can hear their voices faint and haunting
The desert always takes over, always outlasts
In time covers all the foot prints of the past

No comments:

Post a Comment