Friday, March 18, 2016

Between me and the world

Google images


Between me and the world
The reception desk,
I am on one end, on the other the rest.
A parade of faces, and stories to match
They come, they go, and sometimes
 They even come back.

In charge of other people’s sleep,
This is what my life’s all about.
Delicate, slippery, whimsical nap
I am not always sure I am up for the task.
Such a grave, challenging mission,
A complicated life commission.

We were here years ago, some insist,
The room at the far end that was ‘it’.
The bed was the best,
We had such a great rest,
And the breakfast, a rare delight
We will definitely be back.

The unhappy ones, they cloud my day,
Nothing is ever going their way.
The door does not open or lock,
The lights seem to flicker allot,
The Wi-Fi refuses to oblige,
The window lets in too much light.

The mattress too firm,
The pillow rather soft,
The trees breathe at night,
An owl hoots above,
The rain tapping on the roof all night long,
Who can shut an eye, so much is going on.

So I dim off the sun,
Switch the rain off,
Hush the thunder,
Turn down its light,
And wish everyone,
 ‘Good night.’



No comments:

Post a Comment